Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Attack Your Piles - from Chanda

Remember those old television shows where the 1950’s happy homemaker would be sweeping up, and if she didn’t catch every last bit of dirt, she would look around her to make sure no one was looking before lifting the area rug and sweeping the dirt under it? It was just a little dirt, afterall.

I want to talk to that homemaker. I want to know where she put all that dirt? What happened to it, did it all continue to pile up until the dog ate it? Did it disappear into some void of some kind? Where did the dirt go? I have tried to sweep it under the rug myself and it just makes more of a mess.

Well, we’ve come a long way since the days of sweeping up. The invention of the upright vacuum changed everything. Attacking the dirt, we give it little chance to linger anywhere. However, I must say I am quite envious of that woman at times who could put out of sight and out of mind that last little pile of dirt. In my own way, I think I have tried to do just that. Sweeping stuff aside here and there, hoping no one notices.

In our lives, negative energy (dirt) does not get neatly swept under the carpet. Maybe at one time in the history of our planet it was much easier to do, as everyone else was doing it (consciousness) and ignoring it. As good as that sounds, lately I’m noticing all those little piles I thought would just “go away” miraculously have been appearing in heaps in my life. Everything I left to disappear into a void has suddenly built this gigantic dirt pile that’s beginning to overflow. There is no vacuum big enough to take care of it, trust me. So I am realizing I have a choice. I can either face the piles or watch them grow until they take over.

In life, everything equals energy. Therefore, what you do and say gets transferred as energy and can be like this dirt pile, especially if you say or do something that hurt someone or that you regret. That energy has always been there rotting and molding, waiting for us to clean up. I have chosen to take a peak here and there, under this rug and that, gently handling the messes I have created in my past.

Things are feeling much more fresh in my life, a little bit more uncluttered. I didn’t even need Mr. Clean to accomplish my goal. I have been stepping forward in the act of forgiveness for myself first of all for saying and doing those things, and second of all to clean up the messes with those I hurt or those tasks that I have left undone for too long.

Face your piles. It may be uncomfortable at first, however I guarantee it’s worth it. No matter where you have ignored the messes in your life, they are not as scary as they seem. The next time you consider sweeping your pile under the rug reconsider. Get out your Hoover and attack. Everything will feel cleaner both inside and out.

1 comment:

Steve Aune said...

Chanda, great comments on old piles of dirt.
How many of us have these little piles of nuances that are stealing our energy and we may not even know it.
This is an awesome post!

Steve Aune